The International Association for the Humanities – MAG
Міжнародна Асоціація Гуманітаріїв
Международная ассоциация гуманитариев
Міжнародная асацыяцыя гуманітарыяў
2018 Annual Convention
June 27-29, 2018
Co-organized by the Association for Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies (ASEEES)
The MAG Convention 2018 will take place at the Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytsky Center of the Ukrainian Catholic University in Lviv, Ukraine.
The building address is: Kozelnytska St, 2, Lviv, Lviv Oblast, Ukraine, 79000.
The convention will begin in the early afternoon of Wednesday, June 27 and continue until the closing reception on the evening of Friday, June 29.
Registration will open on June 27, at 10:00am in the lobby of the Metropolitan Sheptytsky Center (2A Kozelnytska street).
The program will feature approximately 120 panels including about 350 presentations.
Call for Applications
Proposals for complete and well-balanced panels and roundtables will be given priority. A panel consists of an organizer, a moderator, three paper presenters, and a commentator. Roundtables must have a chair; and 3 to 5 roundtable speakers. Individuals may also apply. The program committee will assign individual papers to specially constructed thematic panels.
Applicants from Eurasia and Eastern Europe (non-European Union) are eligible for travel grants.
For more information visit Call of Applications page
Deadline for all applications: March 5, 2018.
Convention theme: Image of the Self
Following the theme of the 2016 ASEEES-MAG Convention “Image of the Other”, we seek to examine the way states, societies, interest groups and social movements, as well as individuals, represent themselves to themselves and to others through manifold means including language, culture, literature, the politics of history, and politics as such. Images of the self can be found, of course, not only in scholarship but also in popular writing, artistic expression, and in the public sphere.
How have some images given rise to stereotypes and instrumentalized narratives? How have some others constituted resources for tolerance, mutual respect, and cooperation? These issues appear in headlines worldwide, but they seem especially salient in Eastern Europe and Eurasia.
MAG invites proposals directly or indirectly addressing topics related to the “Image of the Self” as they to Eastern Europe and Eurasia. Scholars from all countries worldwide are welcome to apply.
Schedule of key dates and deadlines
- March 5 - Deadline for Proposals for panels, roundtables, and individual papers
- March 16 - Notification of selection results (The Program Committee will notify all applicants of their acceptance for participation in the convention. Recipients of travel grants will also be notified at this time)
- March 31 - Deadline to submit request for UCU dorm room
- 15 April - Notification for UCU dorm room reservations
- 27 April - Preliminary Program will be available
- 15 May - Early Registration Deadline
- 15 May - Deadline for submission of changes to the Conference Program
- 25 May - Deadline for sending Registration Fee (Participants who do not have a bank card or other method by which to pay in advance must notify us by this date and must pay at the conference registration desk on arrival.)
- 25 May - Cut-off date for notification of withdrawal: (“No Shows” will be penalized with exclusion from future conventions.)
- 13 June - Deadline for sending papers to Discussant and Chair
- 27-29 June - Convention dates. The convention will begin on the afternoon of Wednesday, 27 June, and conclude with the closing reception on Friday evening, 29 June.